Wednesday 17 July 2013

Raw Food


Recently, there has been a great deal of exposure and media hype surrounding the benefits of a raw food diet, but what exactly is raw food? Simply put, it is food that has not been heated above 47.7°C. It is unadulterated whole food that is rich in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and phytonutrients.

Supposed benefits of a raw food diet claim weight loss, improved digestion, improved immune function, radiant complexion and healthier hair, increased energy and vitality, reduced fluid retention and bloating, improved mental clarity, improved quality of sleep, reduce risks of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic conditions.

Interested in many of the ingredients commonly seen in a raw food kitchen, I thought I would give it a go and experiment a little with what a raw food diet had to offer. My goal is to try an incorporate as much raw food into my diet over the 10 days as I can without being antisocial!

Gathering the “raw super foods” such as cacao, maca, mesquite, lucuma, acai and green super food powders isn’t cheap, but you only use a little at a time so they do earn their keep! I don’t have a high powered blender, juicer or dehydrator so I’ll have to plan ahead and make sure I’m super organised so I don’t end up surrendering to the magnetism of a cooked meal.

Like all of my appetite endeavours, I’m starting on a Monday, for some reason I always find it easier that way!

This smoothie is a quick and simple way to take in plenty of nutrients and antioxidants, providing enough energy to nourish and sustain until lunchtime.

Place 1 frozen banana, pinch cinnamon, 1 tsp maca powder, 1 tsp cacao nibs, 1 tsp linseed meal, 1 tsp acai powder, small handful blueberries, 1 tsp tahini, 1 tsp raw honey, probiotic powder, and ½ cup nut or oat milk in a blender and blitz until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment